Cheesy Chicken Enchilada Recipe
This is one of my favorite dishes to make now. I realize that its not ‘authentic’ now that one of my friends pointed it out but this is how I was taught to make it so this is what I will probably continue to do unless I get some tips otherwise. However, I love suggestions so please feel free to let me know how you make it so I can surprise my husband with some flair. So here is my cheesy chicken enchilada recipe. Let me know if you try it!
- 1 can Condensed Cheddar Cheese Soup
- ½ cup milk
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken (I made extra)
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ -1 cup cheddar cheese
- 8 flour tortillas (8-inch or burrito style) warmed (I used burrito style for bigger tortillas)
- Stir the soup, ¼ cup salsa and milk in a small bowl.
- Stir 2 tablespoons of the soup mixture from step 1, chicken, ½ cup cheddar cheese, ¾ cup salsa and chili powder in a medium bowl.
- Spoon about ⅓ cup of the chicken mixture from step 2 down the center of each tortilla. Roll the tortillas around the filling and place seam-side down in a greased 3-quart shallow baking dish. (I let someone borrow my 3 quart so I used a 4 quart)
- Pour the remaining soup mixture over the filled enchiladas. I also added the other ½ cup cheddar cheese sprinkled over the top as well as some extra chicken.
- Cover the baking dish. Bake at 375°F. for 35 minutes or until the filling is hot.
- A few of the tortillas I made were just chicken and cheese. I made enough extra chicken so that my toddler and my friend's son were able to eat the plain tortillas without having to have the salsa mixture just in case it was too hot for them.
First step – Soup Mixture
Second Step – Chicken Mixture
Step 3 – Fill and roll tortillas
Step 4- Cover Tortillas with soup mixture and extra cheese
Step 5 – Bake tortillas