One of the things I love the most about my husband is that he will try anything that I make. So when I decided to make homemade lasagna (one of his favorite foods) and not only make one huge dish, but two, he was more excited than me. Which made me very nervous. So here is my homemade lasagna recipe.
- 2 boxes lasagna noodles
- 2 jars of pasta sauce
- 0.5 lb. of ground beef
- 1 lb ground Italian sausage
- 8 oz. mozzarella cheese
- 1 egg
- 16 oz. ricotta cheese (you can find this with the cream cheese and sour cream not in the cheese section)
- 9×13 lasagna pan (I bought mine from the dollar store)
- Parmesan/Romano Cheese (optional)
- Brown Italian sausage and ground beef in a large skillet. Drain and set aside Tip: sausage will take longer to brown than ground beef
- While meat is being browned, mix ricotta cheese with egg and beat well.
- Boil noodles in a large pot. There are no-boil noodles but I haven't tried them yet
- Ladle 2 cups of sauce into your pan and coat whole bottom and up the sides
- Take lasagna noodles and lay out over sauce. I used about 5-6 horizontally and 2 vertically.
- Take about a cup of ricotta cheese and with a knife or back of spoon spread it on top of your noodles.
- Sprinkle Mozzarella cheese over ricotta cheese. Optional: add Parmesan/Romano cheese as well in a light sprinkle
- Sprinkle sausage/beef over cheese
- Add more sauce over meat combo
- Cover this layer with more noodles
- Repeat process until pan is filled almost to top. I did three layers.
- Cover top layer with Mozzarella (also Parmesan/Romano if wanted)
- Bake covered for 30 mins, uncover and bake an additional 15 mins until bubbly and lightly browned on top.
- It is honestly easier to go ahead and make two pans of lasagna at the same time. You can bake both and then freeze one for dinner next week. Just double the ingredients (you will probably have leftover noodles)
First layer sauce
Second add noodles
Third add cheese, meat, and more sauce
Fourth repeat for two more layers