I spend quite a bit of my day on Tumblr now that I am breastfeeding at all hours. I ran across a great recipe for Apple Pie Cookies and I cannot find it again to give credit. I know it was amazing and I wanna say the woman was a dessert recipe blogger. Like all she did was desserts. I searched for it and it brought up tons of recipes. However I changed it a bit and then totally bombed it so perhaps she doesn’t want to see how badly I messed it up anyways 🙂
This is a wonderful recipe to try out when people are watching you let me tell you. I had friends over and I couldn’t find anything. I couldn’t find my rolling pin. I couldn’t find any of my cookie cutters so I used the bottom of the apple filing can. Then I couldnt find my spices that I had laid out prior to starting the recipe. They were right in front of me under my parchment paper. I got really frustrated but the cookies turned out delicious.
- 1 box Pillsbury pie crusts (2 sheets per box)
- 1 can apple pie filling
- 1 cup caramel sauce
- 2 Tbsp cinnamon/sugar
- 1 egg
- ¼ - ½ cup flour
- round or square cookie cutter
- Chop the apple pie filing into small bits and set aside
- Sprinkle some flour before laying down one of the pie crusts. Roll out pie crust to increase surface area.
- Pour caramel sauce over the pie crust and spread it out to create a thin layer of caramel over the surface.
- Spread apple pie filing over caramel sauce. Do not put too much, it should be a thin layer.
- Roll out second pie crust the same way as you did the first. Slice in thin strips.
- Create a lattice on top of the first pie crust just like you would an apple pie. (This is harder than it sounds)
- Use egg to create an egg wash. Dip your cookie cutter into egg wash and cut out your cookies. (I couldnt find my cookie cutter so I used the bottom of the apple pie filing can)
- Sprinkle cookies with cinnamon sugar (the original recipe called for nutmeg but I dont like nutmeg)
- Place cookies on baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 20 min or until golden.