Many thanks to Walmart and Kingsford charcoal for their sponsorship of this post.
If there is one thing the South loves, it's football season. The weather gets cooler, the nights get longer, the colors start to darken and it's time to pull out the grill for a few tailgating parties. In my opinion there are few dishes that can beat a good BBQ so when I got asked to make something with the awesome Kingsford charcoal and Walmart beef, I pulled up some websites to look for something new we haven't ever tried before. The one that caught my eye was a meatloaf hamburger. While I'm not a big fan of meatloaf cooked in the oven I know that grills make everything delicious. If your family is anything like mine you can't have meat loaf without some mashed potatoes which means that when I was telling my husband about this I was threatened with a divorce if there weren't any mashed potatoes included. I always mixed the two when my mom made it so I knew the only thing to do was a meatloaf and mashed potato burger.
- 1 pack McCormick meatloaf mix (but you can use whatever one you prefer)
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 cup bbq sauce
- ½ cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups crushed garlic and butter croutons (you can use whatever you want for this, bread crumbs, panko, crushed ritz crackers)
- 1-2 pounds ground beef
- Meatloaf patties
- Dump all that stuff in a bowl and mix it together.
- After it's good and mixed make some patties. (thicker side works better)
- Cook on the grill like normal
- After you flip them squirt some ketchup on top to give it that nice meatloaf look
- While the pattties are grilling, make mashed potatoes like you normally would. (I used instant)
- Add garlic butter to your buns and put them on the grill for a couple of minutes to get them crispy
- Add mashed potatoes to your bun and then add your burger!