Did you know March 2nd is Dr. Seuss Day? It is also Read Across America Day! So here is a fun Dr. Seuss Recipe to make with your kids. Cat in the Hat Rice Krispie Sticks will be a super yummy kids recipe activity to do in honor of Dr. Seuss. And if you dont own it already, you can get The Cat in the Hat for only $5 on Amazon right now! If you cant make this now, you should definitely PIN IT FOR LATER!
This recipe will yield 6-7 Dr. Suess Rice Krispies treats
INGREDIENTS FOR RICE KRISPIES
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
Two 10 oz. bags of mini marshmallows
10 cups Rice Krispies cereal
1/4 teaspoon sea salt (optional)
DIRECTIONS FOR RICE KRISPIES
1. Spray a 9 x 9 pan with Pam and set aside.
2. In a large sauce pan, melt the butter over low heat.
3. Add the marshmallows to the melted butter, stirring constantly.
4. Once the marshmallows are melted, remove from the heat and stir in the cereal and optional salt until well-coated.
5. Using a rubber spatula (spray with Pam for easier handling), transfer the cereal mixture to the prepared pan and press down firmly and evenly.
6. Allow the Rice Krispies to cool in the pan completely.
INGREDIENTS FOR DR. SUESS RICE KRISPIES
2 T solid shortening
3/4 cup Wilton white chocolate melts
9 large red Airheads candies (or red fruit roll ups)
Black write-on gel
Red write-on gel
ASSEMBLY DIRECTIONS FOR DR. SUESS RICE KRISPIES
1. Line a baking sheet with wax or parchment paper. Set aside.
2. Cut the prepared Rice Krispies (from recipe above) into 6 even long rectangles.
2. In a medium microwave-safe bowl, microwave the solid shortening for 40 seconds or until melted.
3. Add the white chocolate melts and stir until completely melted.
4. Immediately coat each Rice Krispies stick with the melted white chocolate and place on the baking sheet to “set” for at least 30 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, cut each Airheads piece into 2 pieces lengthwise. You will have 18 pieces total.
6. Once the chocolate on the Rice Krispies is dry, take an Airhead piece and wrap around a Rice Krispies stick at the very top of the stick. Pinch at the back to seal.
7. Wrap another Airheads piece around the stick about 1/2-1 inch down from the top one. Pinch at the back to seal.
8. Repeat step 7 with another Airheads piece. Complete steps 6-8 until all of the Rice Krispies have 3 airheads pieces alternating with white chocolate for the hat.
9. With the black write-on gel, pipe two eyes, a nose and whiskers on each stick.
10. At the very bottom of each stack, pipe a large “X” with the red write-on gel. Fill it in with the gel to resemble a bow tie.